PAMSIMAS is a significant contribution to the Indonesian government’s efforts to improve local development. It could raise the economic and health status of poor income communities and speed up the progress of achievement for Millennium Development Goals (MDGs).The project aim is to strengthen the local governments’ capacity to fulfill their responsibilities for improving access to water and sanitation for rural villages as well as to improve community hygiene behavior. The differences between this project and the earlier projects are commitment of resources for nationwide advocacy and coalition-building efforts. It is also align for institutional incentives to support the mainstreaming and scaling up of the Community-Driven Development (CDD) approach to Water Supply and Sanitation (WSS) at provincial, district and village levels, involving government, civil society and the private sector. PAMSIMAS is underpinned by a national policy for WSS which has strong and broad support from various stakeholders in the Government and the donor community. The Government will use PAMSIMAS as one of the implementation mechanisms for developing a framework to support this policy and there are already indications of a very high demand from communities and districts to join the program.
The objective of PAMSIMAS is to increase the number of low-income rural and peri-urban populations accessing improved water and sanitation facilities and practicing improved hygiene behaviors as part of the Recipient’s efforts to achieve WSS-MDGs, through programmatic mainstreaming and scaling-up of a nationwide community-driven approach.
In October 2009, PAMSIMAS work together to handle the project which named Third Water Supply and Sanitation for Low Income Communities Project (WSLIC-3) PAMSIMAS. Cooperation undertaken by PT. KOGAS DRIYAP CONSULTANT as the party that provides consulting in a variety of ways. With this, in the scope of work are:
• Community Empowerment and Local Institutional Development;
• Increased Health and Behavior Hygiene and Sanitation;
• Provision of Drinking Water and Sanitation;
• Incentives for Rural / Urban and District / City and
• Implementation Support and Project Management.
Pamsimas program objective is to improve access to drinking water and sanitation services for poor rural communities especially in underdeveloped villages and communities in the peri-urban.
In more detail Pamsimas program aims to:
• Improve practice clean and healthy living in the community;
• Increase the number of people with access to drinking water and sanitation sustainable
• Increase the capacity of communities and local institutions (government and society) in the implementation of water and sanitation services-based society;
• Improve the effectiveness and long-term sustainability of infrastructure development for water supply and sanitation, community-based;
Objectives of this program are the poor in rural and peri-urban which have a higher prevalence of water-related diseases are high and do not get access to water and sanitation services. And this project starting in October 2009 until March 2014.